anicejester

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Meal will have to do...

The Meal will have to do


My mind is currently elsewhere, thoughts are fixed on memories of my cousin and his passing. Of what that means to Heaven, Humanity, and Family. This is not the time for me to write a story of him, emotion is to raw right now. But rest assured it’s forming ever so slowly and making me smile as it comes instead of the moisture that now leaks from my eyes.

So tonight I created a meal in his honor and served it on a table set the way he would have done it. Nice linen, silverware, water goblets, wine glasses, two scented candles in the middle of the table casting a warm glow around the dinning room.

I dressed for the occasion, tan pants with matching socks, dark brown Hawaiian patterned shirt, and slippers. I was comfortable and looked nice. I put on my apron and started creating.

The appetizer consisted of oven warmed crusted bread with slits diagonally across the top to let the herbed butter have access. Lobster Bisque not from a can or pre-made for convenience. Fresh ingredients put together by hand brought together in a boil then covered to thicken.

Main entrée Sea Scallops lightly dusted with ground spices seared in a cast iron skillet with a breath of olive oil so the outside was crusted and the inside warm and moist.

The Sea Scallops were kept company by a whipped Sweet Potato topped with a mixture of butter, Ohio honey, and ground cinnamon along with steamed Brussel Sprouts tossed with herbed butter presented in a separate dish to avoid trapped moisture butter combination spreading across the plate.

I set the table for one, poured myself a glass of German Ice Wine, the water was already poured. I had four other chairs around the table, one for each of the male Hunkers that were alive when I was born, Jim, John, Don (Dad), and finally Bob. I am the last.

I made a short prayer to God for all the wonders I have witnessed and the joys I have felt. I raised my wine glass to the missing thanking them for staying with me in the past and paving the way to my future.

It was a fine evening meal and for right now it was the least I could do.

God Bless you all


Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home